Monday, January 16, 2006

17. A Flag is Down

I was driving down Wilshire Blvd in West L.A. today and I saw something interesting. A flag from a pole high above the VA had fallen down and was floating around on the street. It wasn't made of cloth, though, it was a flag made from banner material. Don't know what you'd call that. I pulled off the side of the road to watch it for a second, it was not unlike the scene in American Beauty with the plastic bag. After about a minute, I realized that it was still there, and no one was picking it up or moving it off to the side. They were just avoiding the flag from falling on their windshield and they wouldn't be able to see over it.

Which brings me to my point: Does America care anymore? Didn't the flag used to be a symbol for every ideal America held close to their hearts? Didn't people use to make sure the flag didn't touch the ground, or make sure it never got stepped on, or dirtied, or wrinkled even. I know this is a lot to get just from one minute of watching this spectacle, but doesn't it seem true?






This is a copy of Rosamond Johnson's
"The Old Flag Never Touched the Ground."













Are Americans sick of being Americans? Won't someone help pick up American spirit, American ideal, or American pride?

Of course, it should be pointed out that Freedom Fighter did not pick up the flag. He was late for a Freedom Lunch.

Free To Be You And Me

3 Comments:

Anonymous Claude said...

This reminds me of the summer of 2002. I was working at a school in Baltimore that's located only a few blocks from Fort McHenry. For those who don't know, that's where the original Star-Spangled Banner flew, the flag that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the poem.

As I left the school one day, I happened to turn around and look up at the flag and realized that something was wrong with it. A longer look revealed to me that it only had 48 stars. The flag was over forty years old! I went back inside and told the principal about it.

They had a new flag within a couple of days. I have the 48-star flag now.

1/16/2006 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's hilarious. But when you think about it, who really cares about Alaska and Hawaii being with us? They always have to be shown at the corners of maps anyway, how inconvenient.

1/16/2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger scribe said...

LOL freedom lunch is more important than freedom flapping in the air.

1/17/2006 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home