Tuesday, December 27, 2005

08. Meet The PaREntSS

This post is in relation to a comment I got in my comment section. I urge everyone to leave a comment. XOXO

This weekend I watched Meet the Press, an incredibly cool show with Tim Russert that puts a lot of politicians and talking heads on the hot seat and demands accountability. It’s been around for 58 years, almost as long as my dad (59). If nothing else, it makes for good internet fodder. (See: this post)
This episode featured Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw, who are alright guys, actually. Very personable, and such funny voices, such characters. Anyway, this show had a lot of talking points in relation to my blog, so I thought I’d post this part.
From Sunday, December 25, 2005’s edition of Meet The Press with Tim Russert:

MR. RUSSERT: How do you make these stories interesting to people?

MR. KOPPEL: I think the only way you can make them interesting is to bring them down to the individual level. And the fact of the matter is that when we show one person whose pension has just been taken away from her or him...

MR. RUSSERT: That's memorable.

MR. KOPPEL: That's memorable, and you can say, "I identify with that person," or people out there watching your program can say, "I identify with that person." I think the medical care, which is a function of what we're talking about--yes, we have been priding ourselves on having the best medical care in the world--and you know something? You [points to Mr. Russert] can get the best medical care in the world, he [points to Mr. Brokaw] can get the best medical care in the world, I can. Most Americans can't. And there are 43 million Americans who aren't getting any medical care at all. That is a scandal. And...

MR. BROKAW: That is getting attention at least, where people are trying to come to grips with that. And what was so stunning to me was that the Bush administration, after winning very sizeable popular vote in the 2004 election, put as its highest priority the reform of Social Security and not health care in America because I thought that's where most people were concerned.


So he’s right. It’s hard to make people listen to the stories and underlying purpose of politics unless it’s equated on a basic level with everyone. That is, if the media threatens the audience with the idea that it could happen to them, the audience will listen. Kinda explains some stuff, right? So, is the media knowingly doing something good when they constantly try to threaten us with the latest disease, or political "scandal," or foreign war? Or do they just do it for ratings, trying to overblow the threat to make us watch?

Free To Be You And Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home