Thursday, December 22, 2005

01. Intro Track (feat. Kylie Minogue)



I am a product of America. I am the fruit and labor, the destruction and ruin, the drunken and sober creation of America. I am part of this lost generation of kids who aren’t “Gen X” but “Gen Why?” Older generations may not like what has become of this lost generation, far more unrealized than any generation before. We are lazy, inactive, politically apathetic, socially inept if not for medications. Older generations will cry, “Well, we were never on drugs as kids. What the hell is wrong with you!?!” And they’re right. I will not make excuses for my friends and my generation. I will not make excuses for myself. My parents were never on Ritalin, on Prozac, on Blitzer, on Dasher, on…They watched Dick Clark and drank at soda fountains, they laughed at Shelley Berman and Sid Caesar. They listened to Elvis, while THEIR parents cried at the destruction of that generation.

But, as my personal hero Bob Dylan sang, the times they are-a changin’. Yes, they thought the Cuban Missile Crisis was real (my parents were 14 and 12 at the time), their leaders were lost in senseless assassinations. They grew up during the civil rights movement. Good for them. My parents are still vaguely racist.

So, what excuse do we have? 9/11? Yeah, that was scary. The Cuban Missile crisis didn’t happen. 9/11 did. Terrorism is a threat that scares the shit out of me. (I don’t know if I can curse on blogger.com yet, I have to look into that…) Well, we aren’t in a draft, like my dad was (flat feet and near sightedness are what got him out of serving. What the fuck kind of army did we have back then? White, blond hair, blue eyes-style requirements?!!) The Iraq war is not something I condone, whatever name the Bush administration give it (Fight for Freedom? The Libretto for Liberty? That one is MY term! Use it, but give me credit!!!) But, here we are.

Sometimes I wish I could be a speechwriter. I’m not an amazing writer, but I can put sentences together structurally. I would probably just lift my speeches from song ideas or plagiarize, like I did my entire college career. I would have Bush up there at the mic, addressing the president of Iraq (Cheney?) via satellite at a U2 concert (Garth?) and the President of Iraq would say,

“Everything went from wrong to right, and the stars came up and filled up the sky. The music you were playing really blew my mind, it was love at first sight.”

Points to the person who knows that song.

We have no excuse. A note to my generation: WAKE UP. This is not a call to arms. My generation has no arms to spare, with one being on the Adderall bottle and the other on a bong. Or a hookah. Or an apple. Or a one-hitter. Or a plastic water bottle. Or a big water jug and a bath tub. Or a joint. Not like I would know any good techniques….

Let this blog be a diary in the life of a recent college grad seeped in the popular culture of the times around him. Let this blog be a sign o’ the times by someone on the ground, like A.C. in New Orleans. I will not offer many answers, as I don’t know them, but I will ask some good questions. And if politicians or speechwriters, or military personnel or civilians want to throw some ideas in, I would be the better for it.


Free To Be You And Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home